A fountain of some of the fakest outrage seemingly ever recorded has been overflowing on social media with unjustified hatred and criticism after Vice President Kamala Harris had the audacity to, gasp, offer some kind words to the American people ahead of Memorial Day.
Harris tweeted a photo of herself smiling Saturday along with the following four fateful words: “Enjoy the long weekend.”
Those taking her tweet at face value were likely also looking forward to what is for many people a day off from work on Monday, the day on which the annual Memorial Day holiday falls.
But for those looking to parse every single word and thought from the nation’s first Black vice president in a disingenuous effort to undermine her authority — this means you, Republicans — Harris’ tweet was inexplicably tantamount to treason.
Minority Leader of the House Kevin McCarthy was among the latter, tweeting Sunday morning that the Memorial Day holiday is “NOT just a long weekend.”
Not coincidentally, McCarthy is also against forming a commission to investigate what went wrong to allow the Jan. 6 insurrection at the Capitol, so there’s that, too.
How dare Harris suggest that anybody be able to “enjoy” anything about the “long weekend” meant to honor America’s fallen soldiers, dishonest conservative tweets openly wondered despite the lingering contradictory logic they were employing behind the flawed line of questioning.
Of course, the concept of Americans enjoying a long holiday weekend — especially with the promise of cookouts, BBQs and friends gathering as pandemic guidelines get loosened for fully vaccinated people — is far from unique. After all, just last year, President Donald Trump spent Memorial Day doing what he enjoys most: golfing.
And if you really want to dig a bit deeper, considering the true meaning behind Memorial Day, it was Trump — never Harris — who has routinely disrespected gold star families and even veterans. That included mocking John McCain for becoming a prisoner of war in Vietnam.
Trump famously called McCain, who was at that time a sitting Republican U.S Senator, a “loser” and made it a point to say while campaigning for the 2016 election that he didn’t like anyone who was a prisoner of war.
“He was a war hero because he was captured,” Trump said in 2015 during an appearance in Iowa. “I like people who weren’t captured.”
Trump wasn’t finished: “He lost and let us down. I’ve never liked him as much after that.”
The man who went on to lose the 2020 election then said: “I don’t like losers.”
And while that series of comments barely sparked a blip on the Republican outrage radar, fast-forward six years later and Trump’s most loyal followers are trying to make a big deal that the legitimately elected vice president of the United States told the American people to “enjoy the long weekend.”
Making 'Herstory': From DA To DC, Kamala Harris' Amazing Rise Through The Democratic Ranks
1. 2010: Candidate For Calif. Attorney GeneralSource:Getty 1 of 21
2. 2010: Kamala Harris Wins California AG ElectionSource:Getty 2 of 21
3. 2016: Kamala Harris Becomes A U.S. SenatorSource:Getty 3 of 21
4. 2017: Opposing Jeff Sessions' Nomination To Be U.S. AGSource:Getty 4 of 21
5. 2018: Kamala Harris Hints She's Running For PresidentSource:Getty 5 of 21
6. 2018: Introduces Bill To Legalize MarijuanaSource:Getty 6 of 21
7. 2018: Introduces Bill Addressing Black Maternal HealthSource:Getty 7 of 21
8. 2018: Senate Votes To Outlaw Lynching For The First Time In HistorySource:Getty 8 of 21
9. 2019: Harris Launches Her Presidential CampaignSource:Getty 9 of 21
10. 2019: Kamala Harris Wins 2nd Democratic DebateSource:Getty 10 of 21
11. 2019: Kamala Harris Annihilates Meghan McCain ON Live TV11 of 21
12. 2019: Kamala Harris Compares Trump To ‘A Really Small Dude’Source:Getty 12 of 21
13. 2019: Kamala Harris Suspends Presidential CampaignSource:Getty 13 of 21
14. 2020: Kamala Harris Focuses On Trump's Impeachment TrialSource:Getty 14 of 21
15. 2020: Kamala Harris Endorses Joe Biden For PresidentSource:Getty 15 of 21
16. 2020: Joe Biden Picks Kamala Harris To Be His VP Running Mate
16 of 21
I have the great honor to announce that I’ve picked @KamalaHarris — a fearless fighter for the little guy, and one of the country’s finest public servants — as my running mate.— Joe Biden (@JoeBiden) August 11, 2020
17. 2020: Kamala Harris Accepts Democratic VP NominationSource:Getty 17 of 21
18. 2020: Kamala Harris Debates Mike PenceSource:Getty 18 of 21
19. 2020: Kamala Harris Calls Out Amy Coney Barrett During SCOTUS Confirmation Hearing19 of 21
20. Joe Biden and Kamala Harris Win The 2020 ElectionSource:Getty 20 of 21
21. 2021: Kamala Harris Is Sworn In To Become First Black U.S. Vice PresidentSource:Getty 21 of 21
Fake GOP Outrage As Kamala Harris Tells Americans To ‘Enjoy The Long Weekend’ For Memorial Day was originally published on newsone.com